Leonid and Rimma Brailowsky (Russian, 1867-1937 and 1877-1959), Moscow Blue. Oil on canvas, 85 x 59 cm.
full report from the ‘paris is burning’ vogue-off me and exodus went to last night:
- the gays are superior in terms of clothing, dancing, make up, music choices, and being unbelievably hot. i know we all knew this already, but it’s always nice to have it affirmed
- one of the drag kings was the most attractive human i have ever seen in person, (s)he was called Sid Vivacious and was dressed as, basically, the artful dodger. I D I E
- (the winner, however, was an 18th century dandy in a powdered wig and a gold corset. SUPERIOR, I TELL YOU)
- i’m still not sure i have the words for the dude in six inch heels whose walking involved getting down on the floor and doing the splits
- ACTUAL WALKING??? HOUSES COMPETITIONS??? DRAG QUEENS EVERYWHERE??? DREAM NIGHT???
- i forget every time, how safe gay bars make me feel. like, there were middle aged lesbian couples doing the robot. (some of them copied my dancing i think at one point and like, sorry. i dance like nick cave, you shouldn’t copy me, i’m so sorry) a girl in a wheelchair on the dancefloor and everyone making room for her and dancing with her. the Most Married Couple i have ever seen, these two middle aged guys defiantly dad dancing with each other in the middle of the floor. IT’S SO IMPORTANT TO ME TO SEE HAPPY OLDER QUEER PEOPLE!! IT’S SO IMPORTANT!! WE GROW UP AND WE EXIST AND WE’RE HAPPY. young butches in glitter and old butches in bow ties and beautiful trans boys and girls and gay men who clearly lived through the 80s the first time doing the dancing they learned in grotty semi-secret bars and terrifying new romantic high femmes vogueing it was just. amazing.
I had too, they are just too cute . My childhood guinea pigs. Tank Girl, Hamish McBeth, Scarlett O’Hara & Marcel